Monday, November 14, 2005

Roadie for a Day.

"Hey Peter Frampton, do you like toast too? As do I. It is warm and crispy. And the perfect place for jelly to lay. Now get away from me Frampton, I ain't got shit to say to you!" -- Mitch Hedberg

Those of you who know me well know that I am a bit of a Phish fan. (Just a bit.) So when Phish guitarist and bonafide rockstar Trey Anastasio brought his band into Bates College in an event organized by my sister's department, I knew it was an opportunity for a brush with greatness that I couldn't miss.

And I had every opportunity. We drove up from my parents' home on the coast to Bates early in the morning, where we unloaded and set up tons of gear. My sister's boss, knowing I had traveled across the country for a chance to rub elbows with Big Red, gave me an all-access backstage pass. I was one of only about a dozen folks to hear soundcheck. I hung out backstage during the opener in the crew area, eating Thai food and nervously downing Diet Pepsi. I thought about what I would ask him if I got the chance, thinking about Vegoose and spying the guitar wizard rocking out at stage left during the Arcade Fire set.

The Man passed by me backstage five minutes before he took the stage-- him accompanied by a tour manager, me standing by myself, chowing on steamed rice. It was the moment I had flown out for. But instead of pulling a Wayne and Garth, all I could think of was the joke by the late, great stoner-comedian. And so all I offered was a double-take, and a half-yelled "Have a great show."

Trey took a few steps, turned to me, and offered a genuine "Thank you. Thanks a lot." And that was that.

****

I don't regret withholding my words. Those of you who know me know I won't press myself into awkward situations very often. So what was I supposed to say to someone who I had absolutely no common ground with? Mitch had it right with Frampton-- you just admire 'em, tell 'em they're doing a great job, and let 'em do their thing. "Have a great show" seemed just right.

The rest of the experience on Saturday was equally memorable. I was a roadie all day, and learned a great deal about what it takes to produce a major touring show. The production manager (who had run Phish's tours since '99) was uber-organized, great with the volunteer help he had onboard, and very personable. I shot the shit with the tour manager (Dickie Scotland) about databases, and helped lightman Chris Kuroda disassemble and package the light and soundboards. We took opening band Tea Leaf Green's equipment offstage after their set, in front of 1500 people. I handled the Trey band's keyboards and chatted up their guitar tech. We got ice for the tour bus and Thai food for the dressing rooms backstage. I lugged hella equipment, and my right arm is basically useless at the moment. Most importantly, my all-access pass allowed me in front of the crowd-control barricade for the encore. There we were, my sister and I, with the best seats in the house. From there, I just sat, admired, and smiled. Very cool.

Unless I get a job in the industry, this weekend was the most access I will likely ever have to such a concert. It was a great time. Even if I didn't have shit to say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home