Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Mistaken Identity.

I'm sure President Bush put a lot of thought into selecting his Supreme Court nominee, John Roberts. He must have felt compelled to pick a man conservative enough to swing more rulings in the GOP's favor, but not conservative enough to provoke a filibuster. Ideally, he would want as brilliant a writer as Scalia, with the personable nature of a Stevens. Finally, he would want someone relatively young, to preserve his legacy over the court for years to come.

Wait a second, it's President Bush we're talking about here. That's when you realize...



John Roberts...




Looks uncannily like Larry Hagman, J.R. from '80s TV's Dallas!

I can imagine the thought process that went into this one.

***

VICE PRESIDENT CHENEY: Now, Mr. President, there are a clear number of leading candidates to replace Justice O'Connor...
PRESIDENT BUSH: This decision will not be easy, but I will do what I believe to be just and right.
CHIEF OF STAFF ANDREW CARD: Now, Mr. President, we've compiled dossiers on the top judges in the Federal Circuit Court, and...
PRESIDENT BUSH: Well, slap my hog, if it isn't J.R.!
CARD: Sir, that's Judge John Roberts of the D.C. Circuit Court of Appeals..
BUSH: Yeah, I know, good ol' J.R.! Gentlemen, I have made my decision. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to sneak in a quick, heh, power nap.

CARD (to CHENEY): Well, it's a good thing he never saw the liberal judge who looks like Tom Landry.

***

This joke works better if you're 40, by the way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home